Thursday, July 8, 2010

pixie skirt tutorial

Here is where I confess that I have officially lost my mind! Last Friday I went to the Dr. thinking I just had a sinus infection and found out I have Mono (Again!). So, in between naps and while I let my daughter make dinner I have been sewing and sewing and sewing! I had planned to make simple lazy day skirts for all the guests at the party- if you've made one before you know how easy it is- I could have had it all done in an hour. Then I found that fabulous floral fabric at the thrift store- but it was not enough to make 8 skirts (the number of girls invited+Lu). So, in a period of insomnia (one of the wonderful "benefits" of Mono) I dreamt up this little number and Tuesday I started to work.

I've got two different versions of my pixie skirt and I will share both with you. These are meant to fit 3-5 year old- If you want to make it for an older child you could make the longer version and add more panels to it (my 8yr old tried on the longer one- it fit, but was not very full).
Here is what you need:
10 panels if fabric 5 in x 15 in (short) or 18 in (long)
10 pieces of facing fabric 5 in x 6 in
Elastic for waist
(FYI- If you want to use my pattern layout (flower-green-flower-pink-flower...) you really need 12 panels for it to work out right- mine have two pink panels separated by a flower panel in the back)

First I cut out all my panels and the facing- here is a little trick I used- my solid colors are sheets that I picked up at the thrift store and Walmart (They sell twin sheets for $4, you can't beat that!) I used the hemmed edge of the sheet for my facing so I have a nice finished edge without the extra sewing.
To cut the curved edge find a 5 in circle to trace (I used a little tin bucket I have) or get out the compass and make yourself a 5 in circle template. For the points I folded the panels in half and cut a 45 degree angle with my rotary cutter.

Next lay your facing on the panels (right sides together), pin and sew between the pins (1/4 in seam allowance, making sure you taper to the edge at beginning and end of curve.

I tried to take a picture of my stitches, but it's had to see the white on white- sorry!
Next you clip your edges, turn and press.

I top stitched mine to give it a nice finished look.
Here is the back.
Then sew all your panels together using 3/8 in. seam allowance. You can't tell from this photo, but after sewing the panels together I pressed all the seams to one side and then top stitched (1/8 in. from the crease) to hold them flat.
Then sew the ends together, making a circle. Press under 1/4 in at the top edge and then another inch. Stitch all the way around, leaving a 2 in. gap to insert elastic. Adjust elastic to fit and sew two inch opening closed.

Then let your fairy try it on! All she needs now is wings!
If you make a pixie skirt, don't forget to upload your photos to the Little White Schoolhouse Flickr group! I can't wait to see what you make!

*Just a friendly reminder- your free to use my tutorial for personal use or for gifts, but please don't make items to sell using my tutorial(s)! Thanks!

2 comments:

Jess said...

Great tutorial! Those skirts are so cute.

Andrea Esler said...

that's what I was going to say! good for you. get well soon!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online