Thursday, February 10, 2011

snow(sew) day

We woke up yesterday to two inches of snow and co-op canceled, so I declared it an official snow(sew) day.

Addie went down for a nap as the other kids were headed out to play and I decided dig out the old snow gear and head out to take some pictures. I know you love those guard gold pants and matching jester hat- I'm pretty sure I have not had either of these on since college. Too bad I just gave away my guard gold ski coat and you don't get to see the full garish ensemble.
I came back in to clean up from our late night valentine making (we had to finish up our valentines for co-op, which of course ended up being canceled because of the snow, but you know if we had not stayed up til 10pm making them it would not have been canceled and we would have been unprepared) and the kids stayed out for a bit before coming in for hot cocoa. Sorry about that crazy run on sentence!

Here is what I made while the kids worked out their valentines Wednesday night. I was inspired by this and this.
Addie decided she wanted to help my sew when she got up from her nap.
We made this cover for an old milk crate. I used this tutorial, but altered it a bit to make the patterned fabric cover the whole exterior of the crate.
I am going to use it as a library basket. Here you can see the old crate underneath.

And her it is, in action, in it's new home by the front door.

I also re-sewed some napkins I made over a year ago that I pre-washed the fabric for one side of the napkins and not the other, so they half-shrank when I washed them. My mom helped my rip out all the seams last year, when she was here after Addie was born, and they have been sitting in my "to sew" pile ever since!

Regan read something in school recently about snow ice cream and wanted to try making some.

It was a big hit with all the kids.

I also started playing around with some ideas for valentines for Tallulah's preschool class. This is what I've got so far. I think I will make a basket for each kid and embellish them with hearts and fill them with some valentine treats. I will try and post pictures of the finished product before the party on Monday.

1 comment:

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Hey girl! I love this post; I haven't had a "sew" day in, let's say, 6 years!?! You are so very creative! Those little baskets are adorable. :)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online