Monday, May 4, 2009

field trip

When I was a kid, every May my mom, her best friend and I would go strawberry picking. It would be an all day trip, hours of picking, boxes and boxes of strawberries. I loved (still do) eating the berries right off the bush, warm and juicy, yum! I have such fond memories of those times.

One of the things that I love about living where we do now is that strawberry picking has become a staple of our spring... and not just one day a year, but every week for as long as the season lasts. The kids and I anticipate it all April, even driving by the field to see how the plants look and if the stand is up yet (the field is less than 10 minutes from our house). We drove by on Friday and they were setting up the tent, that meant a weekend opening! We waited until this morning to go, trying to beat out the rain and the first week of strawberries did not disappoint! I'm off to the kitchen to make the first strawberry pies of the season!

Those are some Berry Cute Kids!

"Is this a good one, Mommy?
Bucket Boy

The kids have really gotten good at picking ripe, juicy berries... we actually picked more than would fit in our bucket and had to leave some with the lady in the stand!

I think she was upset because after at least 10 I told her not to eat any more strawberries :)

1 comment:

Leslie said...

i love strawberry picking. I can not wait to go this year and make lots and lots of jam. Your little one is adorable

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online