Thursday, July 7, 2011

never a dull moment

First let me start by saying that we are all safe, no one was hurt and our house is fine, just so you don't worry. But this was the scene outside our house this afternoon.
I heard a strange noise and then smelled something and walked into the kitchen to see what it was. I did not see anything in the kitchen, so I opened the garage door only to find it filling with smoke and right then the smoke detector went off. I grabbed the phone and yelled at the kids to get out of the house. After calling 911 I went back in (very briefly) to see if I could find the source of the fire, but did not see anything actually burning, so I grabbed my purse, keys, bible and camera on the way back out and called Phil at work. It took about 5 minutes before I heard the sirens approaching and within a minute there were 3 fire trucks out side and many firefighters entering the house.

I was feeling nervous that they were not finding the source of the fire, when I told one of the firefighters that the AC window unit was on but I noticed it had shut off when I looked in the garage the second time. Turns out that was the problem.
I guess our appliance extension cord was not heavy duty enough to hand that beast of an AC unit... funny, the guys said as he tied that tag on, "this is just to advise you not to use this cord..." I laughed out loud, like I would ever consider that!

Here they are leaving the house. No other damage done, but they did say we were minutes away from a major fire. I am so thankful that we were here, and that our kids and house are safe... really puts things into perspective, ya know?
I was going to post about another project I finished yesterday, but it will have to wait. Right now I am going to go sit with my baby and thank God for His Mercy while I smack at the mosquitoes that wasted no time in invading our house while the windows and doors were open :)


brookebrownell said...

so glad y'all are safe!!!

Leslie said...

thank goodness you were there and that you all are safe...we had a bad gas leak while we were out the other day....the house filled with it for 5 hours before we got we have had a little fire truck drama this week too!

Courtney said...

wow. goodness gracious. glad all turned out ok. the other upside (besides you all being safe and everything ok) is that your kids will probably NEVER forget it and you probably just upped the anti of their fire safety awareness.

now, do you have your hard drive backed up?? i have 2 backups--- one at the house and one that dan takes to work and leaves in his office just for the case of fire--- every couple weeks we "switch" the 2. just a thought


blogger templates | Make Money Online