Tuesday, August 10, 2010

cheap art mini tutorial

I've been working on some art canvases for Regan's room. At one point Regan had taken the globe in her room and we discovered the colors in the globe matched the colors we had painted her room perfectly. I had bought a pack of art canvases planning to paint them as accents for the room, but the globe got me thinking. I searched the house for some extra maps but came up blank so then I googled printable maps and eventually found these. I printed up a world map and a US map and got started...


I used a 11x14 canvas.

First cut the map out and tape together with double sticky tape. Then figure out your desired placement and crease the map at the edges of the canvas.

Use a light coat of Mod Podge to adhere the map to the canvas, wrapping the canvas, like you would a present and cutting off excess paper. (I use a foam brush for application)

This is what it looked like right after I attached the map- the great thing about Mod Podge is that when I dries it all flattens out nicely (unless you get a little too crazy and put on too much).

After it had dried completely I put another coat on top to seal and protect the map. I may go back and put another coat on, but I don't have to. I love how the Mod Podge makes the color of the map really pop!
A couple of notes- don't be concerned when the map wrinkles up again when you apply the top coat- it will flatten again when it dries. Also, be careful with this layer as the Mod Podge does have a tendency to pick up the color and smear it if you are not careful and use too much MP or too many strokes.

One these day I will actually post pictures of Regan's room- I just want to get it as close to finished as possible :)

2 comments:

Leslie said...

awesome idea!!

Unknown said...

Oh! I like this. I love maps!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online