Friday, March 19, 2010

hooded towel

My mom made hooded towels for all my kids when they were about 1 and we still use and love them- even though the kids have other towels these are our go-to towels for bath time in our house. I made this towel for our friends little boy- we are going to his 1 year birthday party tomorrow.
They are really simple to make, if I were really organized I would have taken pictures and done a quick tutorial for you. Instead I will tell you how I made mine with a few pictures of the finished product thrown in. Oh, and please excuse my sewing desk- is is a wonder I can sew anything there is so much stuff piled on it! Anyway, at midnight it is the only place in the house with enough light to take a somewhat decent picture... and what exactly am I doing up at midnight sewing and posting on my blog you ask? Why watching the Maryland-Houston basket ball game of course! Go Terps!

Okay, so back to the towels :)

Materials:
1 bath towel
1 hand towel
strip of coordinating fabric

First I folded back (right sides together) about 4 inches of the long side of the hand towel, making the width of the hand towel about 12 inches, then stitched along the edge.

Next I cut a strip of fabric 2.5" wide and 1/2" longer than the hand towel. I folded/pressed the edges under 1/4" all around and zig zag stitched onto the hand towel covering the seam from where I folded the edge back.
Then I folded the hand towel in half, right sides together, and stitch the edge opposite the cuff together from fold to ends of towel (about 1/4" from the edge).

And last I used a zig zag stitch to attached the hood to the towel centered along the long side of the towel.Sorry if this is totally confusing- I am only somewhat coherent at this hour!

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online