Tuesday, May 4, 2010

i made cheese!

Tonight I made fresh ricotta for the first time. I was a bit apprehensive at first, but it turned out to be pretty simple and not nearly as time consuming as I thought it would be to make my own cheese!

Here is the recipe:

3 C Whole milk
1/2 C buttermilk (I used the powdered kind you find in the baking isle and it worked fine)

Put milk and buttermilk in a heavy sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. (this takes awhile)
Remove from heat and strain in colander lined with paper towel or cheese cloth.

Put milk solids into a bowl, add salt to taste and mix.
I did not measure, but I would guess it made 1/2 - 3/4 C of ricotta.
I served it over pasta with sauteed zucchini and tomatoes and it was yummy :) (The recipe came from the May issue of Cooking Light).
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online