Saturday, September 25, 2010

breaking out of the lunch-time rut

One of the advantages of homeschooling is the ability to have a little more control over what the kids eat. At the same time, it means that I have to make lunch for my kids EVERY day.
It is easy, in the chaos of our days, to get into the PB and J rut day in and day out (actually, in our house I have two who can't eat PB, but they have their favorite alternatives that they choose E.V.E.R.Y. time I offer up sandwiches). I have been trying to mix things up a bit, trying new things and never having the same thing twice in one week. Some things have gone over well, others not so much. Yesterday I had "nachos" on the menu and decided to try a new twist on our standard nachos. It was a big hit with all the kids, so I thought I would share.

What you need:

Tostitos Scoops
Can of black beans rinsed and drained
Cheddar cheese, shredded
Salsa and sour cream to garnish

Preheat the oven to 375
Line cookie sheet with chips
Fill Scoops with beans (I did about 4 beans per chip)
Sprinkle with cheese
Bake for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

For fun I filled a bag with sour cream and used one of my flower cake decorating tips.

Put a scant amount of salsa in each Scoop and top with a squeeze of sour cream!
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

What a great idea....I think I may use it in a modified form for dinner tonight! One of Carson's FAVORITE lunches is tomato basil Wheat Thins, a wedge of Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese, raisins, and water. Yummy!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online