Friday, January 28, 2011

a week in the life, day 5

Friday, January 28th - our school day

Everyone is usually up and moving by 7am. We eat breakfast, get dressed and I try to get the kids to do their morning chores (make bed, brush hair and teeth, put away clean laundry). I admit, I've been a bit too lax lately on the chores, we are going to start picking it up again though.

When the kids are dressed, fed and chores done they can play until it is time to take Lu to Preschool (8:45am). Today was Pajama day.

We are home by 9:15am and I usually make myself a cup of tea and pull out our books for the day. Max and I work together first while Regan and Micah read in their rooms. We do math (Math U See, primer), handwriting (Cursive First) two days a week, spelling (All About Spelling, book 2) two days a week, and he reads to me, recently we've been getting easy readers from the library. He also has a Kumon book that helps him with writing his numbers. usually this takes 30-45 minutes, then he is free to go play.

Next up, Micah and I work together on Math (Math U See, Beta), Writing with Ease (book 2), First Language Lessons (3), and handwriting (Cursive First) two days a week. Depending on how much fooling around there is we can be done in 45 minutes, or 1.5 hrs.

When Micah and I are done it is Regan's turn. Math (Math U See, Gamma), Writing with Ease (book 3), First Language Lessons (3), and handwriting (Cursive First) two days a week. On a really good day when everyone is working hard and not fooling around we can finish up all the basics before lunch, but often times there are one or two subjects left to do.

Once we are done with individual work, then Regan and Micah do spelling (All about spelling 3) together two days a week. We also all do one chapter of Story of the World two days a week. The kids color one of the coloring pages from the activity guide while they listen (we have the CD's) and we go over the review questions and do the maps (also from the activity guide) together.

We try and listen to our CC review while we are in the car going to and from preschool and I use a Charlotte Mason memory box too, although we need to be more consistent with it.

We have not gotten back into French (Rosetta Stone) since starting back after Christmas break, but I am planning to figure out where to fit it in next week. We also want to start doing art one afternoon. There is lots of drawing and crafting happening organically in our home, but I would like to have something more formal. I've go Artistic Pursuits curriculum and just need to pick a day and pull it out!

Most days we are done by 1pm or so and the kids play or watch a movie in the afternoon while I catch up on email, read blogs, start dinner, and clean up a bit.

Today was a pretty typical school day for us, although Friday's are a bit lighter than the first half of the week just because it is Friday and everyone is ready to be done for the week :) Today we were done just in time to go pick up Tallulah from Preschool.

After we picked up Lu we headed to Target to pick up a couple things.

Of course I can't go to Target without getting a cherry coke and popcorn (I heart cherry coke, but only from a fountain- in a bottle or can it's regular coke for me).

And lets talk about how much I love Pizza Hut's Book It Club! Free Pizza once a month for 3 of my 5 kids?!?! Does it get any better than that?

They like it too :)

Regan is such a sweet big sister. She does not part with her money easily, but she knew how much her sister likes bubble and bought this HUGE bottle of bubbles for her at Target and then spent at least an hour blowing bubble for her Lu to chase and pop!

Tallulah was so excited! She came running in the house telling me about how Regan was playing bubbles with her and all the sweet things Regan had said to her, this face says it all!

The boys bought themselves some new ninja Legos and spent the whole afternoon playing with them.

I've been trying to squeeze in a page or two of this book every spare moment I've got. I feel like this is giving me the kick in the butt I've been needing for awhile now!

On Friday nights we head to a friends house for food and fellowship. The kids are totally fooling around during prayer in this picture!
Tonight the kids watched How To Train Your Dragon and played with their friends.
The adults (and big kids) talked and sang some worship songs. It is very informal and always good to fellowship with young and old.

This is a pretty common scene by the end of the night, Tallulah, asleep on our friends couch!
We headed home sometime after 9pm and like most Friday nights, the kids fell right to sleep.

So, after 5 days of the worlds longest blog posts ever are you totally tired of hearing about my life? I am pretty sure I would not read to the end of these post if they were on another blog. Shoot, this one is so long I don't even want to edit it!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

i enjoyed it. maybe i'll try to do it next week, but finding the time to BLOG would be my problem.

my kids are addicted to How to tame a dragon. It has inspired all SORTS of dragon drawing.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online