Saturday, June 28, 2008

Breakfast

When my mom was visiting this past spring she came across a recipe for Pancake and Waffle Mix in one of my magazines and encouraged me to try it. We eat pancakes or waffles almost every Saturday, and having a homemade mix rather than having to start from scratch every weekend was appealing. Besides, I had not quite found the perfect recipe to satisfy the pancake monsters who reside in our house. All that to say, we tried it and love it!
In our house chocolate chip are a standard addition to pancakes or waffles. I use about 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips in a batch. Today I was feeling adventurous and decided to add some colored jimmies to the waffles, everyone loved the splash of color and it did not effect the taste.

Pancake and Waffle Mix

Dry mix:
7 C flour
1 C sugar
8 tsp baking powder
4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt

Mix ingredients and store in an airtight container up to 3 months.

Pancakes:
2 C mix
1 C buttermilk
1 C milk
2 eggs
2 Tbsp melted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla

Waffles:
2 C mix
1.5 C buttermilk
2 eggs
2 Tbsp melted butter
1.2 tsp vanilla

*I use powdered butter milk, so I add the powder to the dry mix first and then add the wet ingredients and mix.
Also, I have double the original recipe to accommodate our 6 person family. If you follow my directions it makes about 24 pancakes and I can fill my Belgian waffle maker 2.5 - 3 times.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! I tried adding chocolate chips to our waffles this morning, but they melted and stuck to the waffle maker. So I put the batter in a pan and made pancakes. The kids loved them--especially the ring of whipped cream I sprayed on them. Lol. I have a few dozen different types of recipes for waffles that came with ourwaffle maker. Email me if you have a specific one you're interested.
Deb

Jennifer said...

We'll be there next Saturday! : )
Great idea about making the dry mix ahead of time... I would day "yes" to pancakes a lot more than I do now.

Jess said...

I'm so happy you have a blog! I will be here constantly! - Jess K.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online